This is where most folks get stuck. They either get overwhelmed by the entire marketing process, read up too much information or attempt to do too much at one time.
We have also encountered practice leaders that set out in a year deciding to “market the practice” without having a marketing plan.. Nor do they set up marketing goals. This inevitably sets them up for disappointment and thereby leads them to drop the marketing plan altogether.
A marketing plan doesn’t have to be an extensive document or a powerpoint presentation at all. It simply has to be written down and referred to throughout the year. That’s it. Commit to doing just that.
Take a simple approach. First figure out what you want to achieve and make sure that it is achievable.
It’s perfectly OK to aim for something specific (examples below):
- I want to add 20% more NEW patients per month OR
- I want to add one new referring physician partner per month
- I want to add 20% NEW patients from google – that makes it even more specific
- I want to add 50 new patient reviews each month
- I want to add 50 new patient reviews each month on google reviews
- I want to add 50 new patient reviews each month on Facebook reviews..
Do you see the point here?
- You are being very Specific about your goal
- You are setting a goal that is Measurable
- Once you write it down on paper, you are setting something that is Attainable
- Your goal is now Realistic
- Your goal is time bound (each month, each week etc)
And that’s it.. You have now set up S.M.A.R.T goals.
Now, for the plan.. Here’s an example of how you can achieve your SMART goal “I want to add 20% more patients per month from google”.
Let’s break this down. How would you achieve that?
First and foremost, you would need to show up in google local search results when patients are searching for a practice like yours. You need to show up in the first page itself or, preferably, in the google local pack results (that small set of 3-4 search results that google shows at the top of the page).
Once you do show up in google local search results, your practice needs to show up as being more “trustworthy” than your competitors that are also showing up in those search results. This necessarily means that you have as many positive reviews as possible and have a higher review rating than your competitors
After prospective patients deem you as more trustworthy than your competitors in google search results, they need to be able to book an appointment with you ASAP. Whether they “text” your business for an appointment or call you from your google search result listing or click on BOOK NOW button or go to your website and request an appointment.. Whatever that method might be… they need to be able to do so IMMEDIATELY.
So, your high level plan would be to
- Show up on google search results via paid ads or SEO
- Show up as more trustworthy to patients by getting patient reviews
- Leveraging various technologies / software to enable near instant bookings from patients.
Great, now let’s look at how your medical practice can show up on google search results